Friday, March 30, 2012

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

SPOILERS!
Don't read any further if you don't want the show to be spoiled!



So I promised you guys I'd talk about this show. Frankly, I actually don't have much to say about it other than it's awesome and if you're into anime or sci-fi, you should definitely watch this. It really says a lot about a show when you have to watch it multiple times to really get it. It's not a show that gives you everything at once, it hints at some things in the beginning, than right near the end it goes in a completely different direction than what you thought was happening. On my second watching of the show it made so much more sense, a bit like Higurashi in that sense.
Now as I started the series, I knew that it was a "deconstructed magical girl show," and a few episodes in, I kind of cemented in my mind it was a twisted and dark Sailor Moon. Tayron argues with me on this one, but the first half of the series I was able to draw a lot of parallels with characters from both shows. Namely Kyubei/Luna coercing the young girls to become magical girls fighting evil by making a contract/taking henshin transformation stick to join in the fight. I'm only going to give one away though, you'll all have to watch and find the others. ^_~
The second half of the show seems more like Doctor Who to me, with them acting like Rose Tyler and the Doctor, but then we get to the last episode and it flips again, making it seem like Amy pond and the Doctor.
It's amazing how they can fit all of these things into a measly 12 episode season/run and have it be this awesome and cohesive, with no extra plots dangling, nothing missing at all and simply brilliant.



This is a really cute Kyubei hat from here for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment