Monday, March 19, 2012

21 Jump Street

A friend and I went to go see the new 21 Jump Street movie today. What follows is my opinion of the movie. I'm not a trained movie person and I only have vague memories of the show from when I was little. I am going to be watching the show in the next few weeks, so nobody rag on me for not talking about parallels. I know I could have watched it last week, but I honestly wanted to go into it with an open mind and make an opinion about it on its own before hastily judging it.
I honestly really liked this movie. It's one of the few I've actually laughed out loud in the theater for. Most of the time it's just one joke after another. Be warned though, most of it is lowbrow humor, a lot of dick jokes and gay references. But there are other jokes that definitely make up for it, like when Jonas Hill and Channing Tatum are first sent to go undercover at 21 Jump St., the chief makes a crack that they should shake them up over at that church since they keep doing old tricks and things from the past. Between tongue in cheek jokes like that, and the Johnny Depp cameo, I'm totally pre-ordering the Blu-ray when it comes out.
The movie opens up with a flashback to Tatum and Hill in high school circa 2005. Sets up the original relationship of the two and the dynamics of being a nerd and jock in school back then. Moving froward to police academy and the relationship changes, with each of them needing what the other has. Hill's character needs to do more athletic things, and Tatum's needs to learn more to pass tests to become an officer. Through helping each other succeed, they become good friends.
Once out on patrol, they mess up big time. Hill lets his perp get away, while Tatum arrests one, but going into the miranda rights, gets emotional and starts hurling expletives (and something I think halo players might recognize) at the guy, which lets the coke smuggler get off scott free. Seeing how they're so immature and young looking, the chief send them to the undercover unit. At the church, we see the leader of the unit is Ice Cube. He goes off on a rant on how they stereotype him into the angry yelling and cursing black character, (another moment I loved) but that it's okay to lean into the stereotypes to get what you want. Like how he sets it up so that Tatum is the jock/drama person at the school to get in with the cool kids, and Hill is the nerdy smart kid to get in the angle of the chem kids who might be manufacturing the drug they're being sent in to bust.
Through a funny bit of Tatum's character forgetting his undercover name, their roles are switched, and hilarity ensues as Hill gets in good with the popular kids, and Tatum is quickly accepted into the nerd crowd.
I can't say much more without spoiling the movie, and I don't want to do that since it is a great movie, and everyone should see it providing that they are old enough and don't mind potty humor. The shining jems of referential humor and tongue in cheek jokes are worth it, I promise!
So with all that said, I give this movie an 8 out of 10. Tatum was amazingly funny in it, but Jonah Hill is extremely typecast as usual. He is great in this movie, don't get me wrong, but it just seems like I've seen it before from him over and over with nothing much changing, and I know it is possible to be typecast and still turn out a new/different performance each time, just look at most of Seth Green's movies. ^_~

No comments:

Post a Comment